Me 262. First encounters.

The place to ask a Veteran a question related to the 352nd Fighter Group. Look for some answers as one of the team browses through the forum.

Me 262. First encounters.

Postby Whiznr » Fri May 06, 2005 10:04 am

Were you guys already aware of their existance? Or did you see them before knowing what they were? What did you think the first time you saw one?
"Ran out of altitude, airspeed, ammo, fuel, parts and ideas all at the same time."
Whiznr
P-40 Warhawk

Postby PunchyPowell » Fri May 06, 2005 7:06 pm

Punchy here. Actually, on one mission before we saw the Me=262s, we were briefed by our S-2 (Intelligence) officer that we would be in the area where we might see them. Not sure it was the same mission but we saw them in the distance once or twice before any of our guys encountered one. Although I saw a couple of them from a distance I was not lucky orunlucky enough to encounter one but the 352nd destroyed 11 262s and one Arado jet in combat. Only four of the pilots who were credited with jet victories are still living. One or more of them will have to give you those details.
Robert H. "Punchy" Powell328th Fighter Squadron352nd Fighter Group"West 'by gawd' Virginian"
PunchyPowell
352nd FG Veteran

Return to Ask a 352nd Veteran