Where were you?

The place to ask a Veteran a question related to the 352nd Fighter Group. Look for some answers as one of the team browses through the forum.

Where were you?

Postby Dduck » Tue May 03, 2005 8:57 pm

I'm reposting the question due to technical difficulties. Where were you and what were you doing when you first heard about Pearl Harbor being attacked?
Dduck

Proud Owner of the 1991 Mustang 352nd Tribute car. Best time to date : 9.85 @ 140 mph.
Dduck
P-47 Thunderbolt

Location when I heard about Pearl Harbor

Postby PunchyPowell » Wed May 04, 2005 1:44 pm

I had been home for my Grandmother's funeral in southern W.VA. and was hitch-hiking back to WVU in Morgantown way north upState. I had caught a ride with a fellow and as we drove through the W.Va. mountains we were listening to his radio. Yes, we had radios in those days, not many of us, but some. Suddenly we heard the announcement about the attack on Pearl Harbor and were in shock. A few weeks after that my friend, Earl Ashworth, and I skipped school and hitch-hiked to Pikeville, KY to take the physical and aptitude tests to become Aviation Cadets.
Robert H. "Punchy" Powell328th Fighter Squadron352nd Fighter Group"West 'by gawd' Virginian"
PunchyPowell
352nd FG Veteran

Return to Ask a 352nd Veteran