Atcham 1943 RTU

The place to ask a Veteran a question related to the 352nd Fighter Group. Look for some answers as one of the team browses through the forum.

Atcham 1943 RTU

Postby embee » Tue May 03, 2005 10:26 am

Punchy when you were at Atcham RTU. how many A/C type's where there, P47,P38 and RAF types...which did you get to fly and would conversion on type have made a difference to your eventual posting to a FG.Cheers PunchyMARTIN :D
embee
T-6 Texan

Atcham RTU

Postby PunchyPowell » Sat May 14, 2005 11:18 am

After getting my wings on Jan 4, 1943 I was assigned to Dale Mabry AFB in Tallahassee, FL but sent to Cross City, FL for RTU where we checked out in the P-47s and got about 40-50 flight hours in them before 50 of us were shipped out to the UK where we were sent to Atcham, near Shrewsbury, for more RTU. They didn't have enough P-47s there when we first arrived so between our training missions we just flew whatever was on the field. I got about 14 hrs in a Spitfire and also flew an L4 Cub for the first time and a British Miles Master training plane something like an AT-6 (except it was plywood)) and also got 10-12 hrs flying the British Lysander. One of our guys got killed flying a Spit.These were old war-weary Battleof Britain Spitfires, Mark IVs, I think. As we finished our training there, very little actually, and afew hours of gunnery training at another British base, we were assigned to one of the four American fighter groups thenin England, all flying P-47s. These were the 4th, 78th, 56th and 352nd. Hence, our 50 pilots whohad shipped over were split up among these groups. Some of them became famous aces. Manywere KIA. Assigned to the 352nd with me were Fred 'Pappy' Yochim,(POW) and Ray Phillips (KIA). Several went to the 56th Gp.
Robert H. "Punchy" Powell328th Fighter Squadron352nd Fighter Group"West 'by gawd' Virginian"
PunchyPowell
352nd FG Veteran

Postby embee » Mon May 16, 2005 11:08 am

:D Punchy many thanks, Superb.martini bet it was fun to fly the Lysander, and not much fun to fly the WW Spits.
embee
T-6 Texan

Return to Ask a 352nd Veteran