Question for Don Bryan.

The place to ask a Veteran a question related to the 352nd Fighter Group. Look for some answers as one of the team browses through the forum.

Question for Don Bryan.

Postby Whiznr » Fri May 06, 2005 10:08 am

Hardest dogfight. How good was the opponent? What was he flying? What were you flying? How long did the fight last? And what did you do to finally put a fork in him?
"Ran out of altitude, airspeed, ammo, fuel, parts and ideas all at the same time."
Whiznr
P-40 Warhawk

Postby DonBryan » Mon May 30, 2005 10:59 pm

The day was 2 Nov 44. I had damaged a couple 109s and got a couple when another 109, with his wingman, came at me. I was in 'Little One III' and 109s had been easy meat for my P51D 10. But this SOB was not a regular 109. Not only did he outperform me, but his wingman was right there with him. When I was instructing in P40s I used to take trainees up and work on individual combat as part of their training. We would do the normal, split off 90 degrees, fly for 30 seconds, do a 180 and when we psssed each other, start the fight. As an instructor it was real easy to close on a trainee. This time, just as I got my guns on him, but not through him for a lead to fire, he disappeared. I looked around and finally found him. Again I closed on him. The same thing happened again. I called for a form-up and landed at base. We didn't even go into Operations. We took off again and practiced what the trainee had done. The maneuver had no name so we made up one. It was an 'Inverted Vertical Reverse. Here's how it goes. When you are at max power, pulling as many G's as you can and are shaking on the edge of a stall, the guns are on you, (but not through you for a lead), you do this: 1. You pop the stick into your gut. 2. You hit full bottom rudder. 3. You throw the stick full forward. Here's what happens: Your head hits the top of the canopy, the nose drops down and under, the prop twists you around 180 degrees and you end up at about 45 degrees down at zero G's and under 100K. All this happens in less than one second.And, remember, it takes almost one second for your eyes to register anything. In effect, you just disappear. I did NOT go back looking for that SOB." -- Don.
Don Bryan328th Fighter Squadron352nd Fighter Group"Little One III"
DonBryan
352nd FG Veteran

Postby CRIPES_A_MIGHTY » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:06 am

Hi,
Don appeared on the History Channel show "Dogfights" describing the action he has posted here, along with CGI animation of the dogfight.
A clip of it is on YouTube.

Here is the url

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlfOWZHEGNk

Enjoy!
"Second To None"
CRIPES_A_MIGHTY
Piper Cub

Postby Whiznr » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:30 pm

Yeah I saw that. Was awesome!! I actually posted that question 3 years ago. :wink:
"Ran out of altitude, airspeed, ammo, fuel, parts and ideas all at the same time."
Whiznr
P-40 Warhawk

Postby Dduck » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:53 pm

Whiznr wrote:Yeah I saw that. Was awesome!! I actually posted that question 3 years ago. :wink:

Wow!!.....

...........You've been with us 3 years already? 8)
Dduck

Proud Owner of the 1991 Mustang 352nd Tribute car. Best time to date : 9.85 @ 140 mph.
Dduck
P-47 Thunderbolt

Return to Ask a 352nd Veteran