Bobby Dodd and Ray Mitchell being new P-51 fighter pilots ju

Stories and background on who and what made the 352nd Fighter Group, on the ground and in the air.

Bobby Dodd and Ray Mitchell being new P-51 fighter pilots ju

Postby RayMitchell » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:09 pm

Bobby Dodd and Ray Mitchell being new P-51 fighter pilots just off the ship at Liverpool were sent to the Dispersal Base near Hull England for orientation and to be quarantined for a week or so before being assigned to the 352nd at Bodney.

After a few days they both became bored at the slow pace of things and seeing that security seemed very lax, decided to slip off the base and go into town one evening.

Well, they enjoyed the evening and decide to take a taxi the short distance back toward the Base. Everything was going fine until they noticed that the driver was having a hard time staying on the typical narrow English road with it's many sharp turns.

Sure enough, it wasn't long until the driver didn't make one of those sharp turns and over they went. By then it was evident to them that the driver was very drunk. Seeing no one was hurt Bobby and Ray set the little English car upright and took off leaving the driver to figure out his next move, knowing that it would not be wise to call the local authorities as the two of them were off the base with out authority.

They proceeded the short distance to the Base and entered at an uncontrolled location feeling fortunate and wiser from the experience.
Ray - 328th Mustang Pilot
RayMitchell
352nd FG Veteran

Postby Dduck » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:36 am

Great story Ray, and I'm glad to see you on here! I would like to see more of your stories posted as well. One that comes to mine was the one about you and the Eiffel tower that you told me about when we were in Paris. Also, don't forget to check out the "Ask a Veteran" section. Take care!
Dduck

Proud Owner of the 1991 Mustang 352nd Tribute car. Best time to date : 9.85 @ 140 mph.
Dduck
P-47 Thunderbolt

Return to 352nd History